We are very excited to announce that Confidence Analytics is expanding its operations beyond the borders of Washington state. Our lab is proud to be a leader in Washington for honest and consistent quality assurance services, with worldwide recognition for our outstanding science published in Nature magazine. We are excited to bring our institutional knowledge to the rest of the country and the world.
As part of our growth plan, our current Chief Science Officer (Nick Mosely, CSO) is advancing to the position of CEO, which leaves open the position of Science Director/ CSO. Here is a job posting (Google Doc) for the open position. For those experiencing technical difficulties opening the Google Doc, we have added the posting to the end of this blog post.
All applicants must meet the requirements of the position as described in the posting, which includes details on how to apply. We will give preference to applicants with experience in the 502 market, provided they meet the requirements.
An industry leading analytical laboratory is seeking qualified candidates to fill a position as Science Director/ Chief Science Officer to support the development and maintenance of novel analytical methods. The applicants should be process-driven, outcome-oriented, and able to establish positive working relationships with internal and external partners while working in a fast-paced environment in a startup industry.
Confidence Analytics is Washington state’s leading cannabis testing laboratory. We are a chemical analytical company providing the legal marijuana marketplace with access to pharmaceutical grade analysis of cannabis products for quality assurance and consumer protection, as required by state law (under i-502/I502). The company is expanding its operations down the west coast and abroad, is promoting its current CSO, and is in need of a new Science Director to work out of the company’s headquarters in Redmond, Washington.
The Science Director is a senior position within the organization, serves under the executive management of the company, and works directly with laboratory and quality assurance departments in reviewing outcomes and improving processes. The Science Director must sign off on manuals and SOPs before they can be fully adopted, and is responsible for reviewing the scientific validity of the methods and procedures utilized by the laboratory. The Science Director is a subject matter expert and provides consultation for a variety of questions as they pertain to activities throughout the testing process. The position requires managerial aptitude, deep understanding of analytical chemistry, confidence in the utilization and maintenance of instrumentation, and the ability to maintain confidentiality regarding both company and client information and practices.
The Cannabis plant produces a very complex drug with long existing widespread use and substantial impact on matters social, legal, clinical, and therapeutic. The quality assurance laboratory is an essential stakeholder in all legal US cannabis markets. The ideal candidate will be motivated by a passion to improve the outcomes of a nascent industry that touches the lives of millions.
- Review all standard operating procedures and quality assurance documents to ensure scientific validity of methods
- Field questions from the laboratory and QA teams and assist with resolving various laboratory issues
- Offer suggestions regarding best practices for continued validity of results
- Stay up to date on state testing requirements, ASTM standardization efforts, and the American Herbal Pharmacopoeia Cannabis Inflorescence Monograph
- Review data in the LIMS system, as needed
- Perform periodic proficiency tests and demonstrations of competency on lab personnel when required
- Respond to customer inquiries, as appropriate to scope
- Ensure client confidentiality
- Periodic Travel to other offices in other states with compensation
- Other duties as required
- Has earned, from a college or university accredited by a national or regional certifying authority a doctorate in the chemical or biological sciences and a minimum of two years post-degree laboratory experience
- Experience with test method validation in the context of lab management
- Experience on LC and GC with MS
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Public-facing tact; can speak in technical or layman’s terms; prefers concise over verbose
- Must be comfortable interacting with a diverse audience
- MS Office/Google Docs working knowledge
- Good tenure and job stability in previous roles
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Must be 21+ to apply
**Will train for the right candidate**
- Experience with LIMS/ERP/MRP or similar systems
- Author of at least one well-written journal article including some technical documentation
- Experience analyzing complex botanical products for analytes in the 1 ppb – 0.1% range
- Academic background focused on GC method development
- Experience with SFC
- Familiarity with LabSolutions software and Shimadzu hardware
- General knowledge in the fields of microbiology and molecular biology
- Willing to work incrementally within the framework of continuous improvement
- Willing to explore new techniques and technologies
- Willing to try unconventional approaches
- Skills in statistical analysis, informatics, and programming
- Can display humility and team-first attitude — blame the process, not the person
- Previous experience working in an environment where traceability and quality management was required (such as ISO9001 or ISO17025 certified companies)
- Experience editing documentation in a wiki format (simple markdown see>doku)
Location, Pay, and Benefits
- Location: Redmond, WA 98052
- Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week (part time applicants may be considered)
- Schedule: highly flexible
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Position type: direct hire
- Full time employees are eligible for paid time off, heath+dental insurance
If you think you are the right candidate for the job, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Include in your cover letter why you want to take on this position and why you want to work for this company in particular. Please take some time to review our website before applying https://www.conflabs.com.
EEO Employer: Race, Religion, Color, National Origin, Citizenship, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Ancestry, Veteran Status, Genetic Information, Service in the Uniformed Services or any other classification protected by law.